Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Reproduction of John Brown's fort in Linn County, Kansas - Page
0 votes

Like Kansas Memory?
Help us add more items by donating $$$.
Donate to Kansas Memory

This photograph shows a reproduction of John Brown's fort at the site of the Marais des Cygnes massacre in Linn County, Kansas. On May 19, 1858, Missouri border ruffian Charles Hamilton and some 30 other men rode through the village of Trading Post, Kansas, and captured 11 free-state men. The Missourians marched them into a ravine where they opened fire upon them. Five of the men were killed, five were seriously injured, and one escaped unharmed. John Brown, arriving at the scene toward the end of June 1858, built a "fort" some 220 yards south of the ravine. The land on which the fort was built belonged to Eli Snider, a blacksmith. Later he sold it to Brown's friend Charles C. Hadsall, who agreed to let Brown occupy it for military purposes. Brown and his men withdrew at the end of the summer, leaving the fort to Hadsall.

In later years Hadsall built a stone house adjoining the site of Brown's fort, enclosing the spring within the walls of the first floor. In 1941 the Kansas legislature authorized acceptance of the massacre site, including Hadsall's house, as a gift to the state from the Pleasanton Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1961 it provided funds for the restoration of the building, and in 1963 the entire property was turned over to the Kansas Historical Society for administration. A museum was established in the upper floor of the building in 1964. Today the park is operated as Marais des Cygnes Massacre State Historic Site.

Date: Between 1858 and 1890

Bookbag Share Print

Reproduction of John Brown's fort in Linn County, Kansas - 1Reproduction of John Brown's fort in Linn County, Kansas - 2

Reproduction of John Brown's fort in Linn County, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 228893
Call Number: FK2.L5 .79 *17
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 228893

John Brown Florence Nightingale correspondence

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.