Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Park area at Fort Hays, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Two photographs of the park area at Fort Hays, Kansas. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site.

Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1964

Bookbag Share Print

Park area at Fort Hays, Kansas - 1 [*51]Park area at Fort Hays, Kansas - 2 [*52]

Park area at Fort Hays, Kansas - 1 [*51]

Item Number: 228803
Call Number: FK2.E3 F.79 *51-52
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 228803

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.