Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Hopkins gymnasium, Menninger Clinic, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This photograph shows the newly constructed Hopkins Gymnasium on the East Campus of the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas. James "Red" Pratt, Director of Adjunctives Therapies is shooting baskets while an unidentified staff member is lifting weights. In 1925, the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased a farmhouse on the west edge of Topeka, Kansas. The farmhouse became the inpatient clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. This photograph documents the construction of an important building in the Menninger philosophy of treatment. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka, a residential scale community of 28 structures on a 350 acre hilltop campus. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation was moved to Houston, Texas.

Date: 1952

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 227220
Call Number: Menninger Fdn. Photographic Collection, Box 39 #213
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 227220

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.