Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This panoramic photograph shows the Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas. Organized in 1895, the Industrial and Educational Institute of Topeka for African-American students only, prepared them to specifically engage in agricultural or mechanical pursuits and domestic activities. It was controlled by a board of seven trustees, four of whom were appointed by the Governor. The school has received annual appropriations from the State Legislature since 1899. In 1917, it was placed under the supervision of the State Board of Administration. The trustees, as provided for in their constitution to serve as the advisory board of the institution, continued to manage the affairs of the institution. their actions were subject to the supervision of the state Board of Administration of Kansas. On July 1, 1919, the Institute was put under the control and administration of the State Board of Administration. The Advisory Board was reduced to five members, appointed by the Governor for a term of two years. This Advisory board was abolished in 1925, and the name of the school was changed to the Kansas Vocational School of Topeka. The State Board of Administration was given full control of the school. In 1939 the school was placed under supervision of the State Board of Regents. In 1951 the name was changed to the Kansas Technical Institute at Topeka.

Creator: Wehe, L. E.
Date: 1925

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 226242
Call Number: FK2.7 VS.1925 *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 226242

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.