Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

G. M. Dodge to Joseph B. Thoborn - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a letter from G. M. Dodge, Council Bluffs, Iowa, to Joseph B. Thoborn, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Dodge tells how Fort Dodge was named. According to the letter, in 1864 or 1865 G. M. Dodge sent out a regiment to where Ft. Dodge was eventually established. It was late in the season and the regiment did not have materials to build barracks, so they made their living quarters in the hills. The colonel of the regiment was incensed that they were sent to the area without proper supplies, so he named the makeshift quarters Camp Dodge. The government later officially named it Fort Dodge.

Creator: Dodge, Grenville Mellen, 1831-1916
Date: October 24, 1910

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 226018
Call Number: Hist. Forts
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 226018

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.