Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This sepia colored image shows a view of the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Icabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed Washburn University of Topeka in 1952.

Date: Between 1890 and 1919

Bookbag Share Print

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas - 1Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas - 2

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 225059
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.76 WU *13
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 225059

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.