Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This postcard shows buildings on the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. From left to right the structures have been identified as follows: Crane Observatory, Boswell Library and MacVicar Chapel. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.

Creator: Warren M. Crosby & Co., Dry Goods and Shoes, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919

Bookbag Share Print

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas - 1Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas - 2

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 225055
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.76 WU *8
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 225055

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.