Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows the main entrance to Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. The school is located on 160 acres of land, donated by Kansas abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later rename, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.

Date: Between 1900 and 1919

Bookbag Share Print

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas - 1Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas - 2

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 225020
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.76 WU *2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 225020

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.