Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Power plant at Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

The Power Plant was built in the early 1920's by the Security Benefit Association for its complex of buildings -- hospital, orphanage, two homes for the elderly, apartments for staff and the plant operations shop. It used three coal burning boilers, two of which were installed in 1921. It also housed the laundry and the pumps which brought the water supply from the Kansas (or Kaw) river. When the Menninger Foundation purchased the complex, an 11 1/2 ton, 250 HP boiler was installed to replace the early equipment and the pumps were disconnected in 1962. The laundry has not been used since 1954.

Date: 1962-1966

Bookbag Share Print

Power plant at Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas - 1Power plant at Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas - 2

Power plant at Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 224566
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 41, #164
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224566

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.