All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
The Fellows' Club was formerly Building "A" of the Security Benefit Association Complex. It was built in 1918-1919 and housed the orphaned children of members of the Association. It was called the Children's Building or the Orphan's Dormitory. At first it also housed old people until their quarters Buildings "B" and "C" were completed. In 1942, the last child had been moved out and the building was closed. In 1950, when S.B.A. became a mutual rather than a fraternal insurance organization, the building was renamed "Hilltop Lodge" and served as a hotel for visiting families of patients at the S.B.A. hospital. The Menninger Foundation purchased the property in 1959 and in 1962 the basement was remodelled as the Fellows' Club of the Menninger School of Psychiatry. Later the building was remodelled to serve as a Day Hospital for the Menninger Clinic West Campus and was named the Clevenger Building. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation moved to Houston, Texas.
Item Number: 224555
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 41, #125 & 126
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224555
Collections - Photograph - Menninger Foundation
Community Life - Clubs and organizations - Professional
Community Life - Community services - Mental health facilities
Community Life - Community services - Welfare - Welfare facilities - Orphanages
Date - 1960s
Objects and Artifacts - Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact - Photograph
Places - Cities and towns - Topeka
Places - Counties - Shawnee
Type of Material - Photographs