Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Dean Building, Menninger West Campus, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This building was constructed as a home for the elderly by the Security Benefit Association. Building "C" was opened July 13, 1925. The S.B.A. property was purchased by the Menninger Foundation, and in 1965 it was remodeled for use by the Department of Preventive Psychiatry and as a Seminar Center. At the celebration of Topeka Day, May 23, 1969, the building was named in honor of W. Laird Dean, a long-time member of the Board of Trustees and Treasurer of The Menninger Foundation from 1944-1963. Later the Dean Building was used as a canteen and for music therapy. The piano for the music therapy room was hoisted through the window.

Date: 1969

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 224554
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 41, #122
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224554

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.