Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Northwest Office, Menninger Clinic East Campus, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows the Topeka Institute for Psychoanalysis office, the Northwest office as it appeared in the 1960's. It was formerly the Sutherin Home at 3716 West Sixth, purchased by Menninger in 1946 and remodeled as an office building. In 1925, the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased a farmhouse on the west edge of Topeka, Kansas. The farmhouse became the inpatient clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. This building, a nearby farmhouse was also purchased and remodeled as offices for the Topeka Institute of Psychoanalysis, an important addition in the Menninger philosophy of treatment. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation was moved to Houston, Texas.

Date: 1960

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 224333
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 39, #256
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224333

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.