Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Keys Manual Arts Building, Menninger Clinic East Campus in Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows the Keys Manual Arts Shop on the East Campus of the Menninger Clinic in Topeka as it looked during the 1950's. The gift of Mrs. Lucy Stearns McLaughlin, it was opened in 1942 to promote research into the use of occupational therapy techniques in treatment and to train therapists in such techniques. The building was named for the donor's first husband. In 1925, the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased a farmhouse on the west edge of Topeka, Kansas. The farmhouse became the inpatient clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. These photographs document the construction of an important building in the Menninger philosophy of treatment. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation was moved to Houston, Texas.

Date: Between 1950 and 1958

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 224331
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 39, #229
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224331

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.