Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is an interior view of the Arts and Craft Shop at Menninger Clinic which was later converted to the Canteen on East Campus. The mural shows the various craft activities carried on at the Menninger Clinic. It was painted by Mr. John Ballator, art instructor at Washburn College and husband of the Menninger occupational therapist. The woman sitting with a scarf across her lap represents Mrs. Ballator. The nurse is Miss Erickson and Mr. Stone is to the left of the nurse. In the background, the three Doctors Menninger (Dr. C.F., Dr. Karl and Dr. Will) are planting a tree. Beyond them is the farmhouse which was the first sanitarium and became offices of the Menninger Clinic. The mural was hung in 1940.

Date: 1947

Bookbag Share Print

Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - 1Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - 2Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - 3Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - 4

Menninger East Campus Canteen in Topeka, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 224266
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 224266

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.