Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Karl A. Menninger, M.D. - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These photographs are primarily of Dr. Karl Menninger. Dr. C.F. Menninger and his sons, Dr. Karl and Dr. Will, formed a group psychiatry practice in 1919 in Topeka, Kansas. The Menninger Clinic as a sanitarium was established in 1925 with the purchase of a farm house and admittance of 12 patients. In 1925, the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased a farmhouse on the west edge of Topeka, Kansas. The farmhouse became the inpatient clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka, a residential scale community of 28 structures on a 350 acre hilltop campus. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation was moved to Houston, Texas. The philosophy was that mental illness could be treated with an integrated medical, psychodynamic, and developmental approach for the total health of patients.

Date: 1945-1949

Bookbag Share Print

Karl A. Menninger, M.D. - This black and white photograph shows the Civilian Consultants at Ave. Kleber, Paris,  April 23, 1945.  Dr. Karl is second from the right.Karl A. Menninger, M.D. - Here is the VeteranKarl A. Menninger, M.D. - Dr. Karl is with Helen Keller and Polly Thompson in this September 1949 photograph.Karl A. Menninger, M.D. - Dr. Karl is with Helen Keller and Polly Thompson in this September 1949 photograph.  They are shown in Dr. Karl

Karl A. Menninger, M.D. - This black and white photograph shows the Civilian Consultants at Ave. Kleber, Paris, April 23, 1945. Dr. Karl is second from the right.

Item Number: 222262
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic Collection, Box 2, folder 21
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 222262

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.