Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Menningers - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These photographs show the three Drs. Menninger at the Clinic. The Menninger Clinic is a facility for mental-health treatment, education, research, and prevention. It was started in 1919 in Topeka, Kansas, by Dr. Charles F. Menninger and his two sons, Karl and William. In 1925, the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased a farmhouse on the west edge of Topeka, Kansas. The farmhouse became the inpatient clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka, a residential scale community of 28 structures on a 350 acre hilltop campus. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation was moved to Houston, Texas.

Date: 1930-1937

Bookbag Share Print

Menningers - This black and white photograph taken in Feburary 1930 shows Dr. Will, Dr. C. F. and Dr. Karl Menninger. ( Note the picture of Sigmund Freud at his desk.)Menningers - Dr. Karl is pictured with Dr. Norman Reider and Dr. Bernard Kamm taken at the east end of the West Lodge in early spring, 1957.Menningers - Dr. Will and Dr. Karl inspect the construction of the Arts and Craft Shop in the summer of 1937.Menningers - Dr. Karl and Dr. Will are shown at

Menningers - This black and white photograph taken in Feburary 1930 shows Dr. Will, Dr. C. F. and Dr. Karl Menninger. ( Note the picture of Sigmund Freud at his desk.)

Item Number: 222261
Call Number: Menninger Foundation Photographic collection, Box 2, folder 20
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 222261

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.