Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Runnymede, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This photograph shows St. Patrick's Episcopal Church in Runnymede, Kansas. It was a small wood-frame structure with minimal Gothic Revival detailing. The cornerstone was laid on November 28, 1889 and the church was dedicated in May 1890. The town of Runnymede was originally established to teach sons of British gentlemen the ways of successful farming in the West. Finding this agricultural experiment a waste of time, the men spent their days racing horses and throwing parties instead of working. Eventually, many of the immigrants returned to England. With their departure and the inability to attract a rail line, the town faded. St. Patrick's Church was eventually moved to Harper, Kansas and renamed St. James Episcopal Church.

Date: Between 1880 and 1890

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 222187
Call Number: FK2. H2 R.71 Epi. StP *2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 222187

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.