All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
This bloodletting cup was owned by Dr. James Haller (1824-1908). Haller practiced medicine in Middletown, Ohio, in the 1840s and 1850s, and was a surgeon during the Civil War with the 38th Ohio Infantry from July 24, 1861 to Jan 4, 1865. He was promoted to Assistant Surgeon July 13, 1863. After the war, Dr. Haller and his family moved to Burlingame, Kansas where he continued to practice medicine.
Cups were used to perform the medical treatment of bleeding. The glass cup was heated and placed on the skin. Its cooling created a vacuum, causing the skin to become red and swollen and signaling to the physician that the blood had risen to the surface of the skin. Then a lancet was used to release the "bad" blood from the body.
Date: between 1840 and 1900
Item Number: 221733
KSHS Identifier: 1969.34.19
Business and Industry - Occupations/Professions - Physicians
Collections - Museum
Date - 1840s
Date - 1854-1860
Date - 1861-1869
Military - Wars - Civil War
Objects and Artifacts - Tools & Equipment for Science & Technology - Medical & Psychological - Cup, Bleeding
Places - Other States - Ohio
Thematic Time Period - Civil War, 1861-1865
Type of Material - Objects and Artifacts