Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Commercial National Bank and F. C. Noller Mercantile Company in Alma, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This view of the Alma business district shows the Commercial National Bank and the F. C. Noller Mercantile Company located in the 200 block of Missouri Street. Originally the bank building was known as the Horne building when Theresa Horne operated her hotel there. W. W. Thompson purchased it in 1908 and then sold it a few days later to Louis Palenske, who remodeled the building before opening the Commercial National Bank in 1909. Over the years, the building housed a hotel, bank, saloon, and produce business. Fred C. Palenske donated the building and the museum building across the street to the Wabaunsee County Historical Society in 1968. Born and raised in Alma, he founded Industrial Rubber Goods Company in St. Joseph, Michigan. He held three U.S. patents for rubber insulating material. After his wife's death in 1959, he sold his business, and in 1961, he sent anonymous donations of $5,000 to every private college in Michigan. Albion College was the only college that sent a thank you letter. He then made substantial donation to that institution to complete a science complex, which bears his name, Fred C. Palenske.

Date: 1910

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 221268
Holding Institution: Wabaunsee County Historical Society

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.