Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Limerick Block, Alma, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is known as the Limerick building, Alma, Kansas. It was constructed in 1890 and housed the Bank of Alma that J. F. Limerick owned with his brother, G.W. Limerick of Wamego. The building was also known as the Limerick and Crafts block, as druggist, Fred Crafts, joined the building venture and operated his drug store in the south building in the structure. The Limerick brothers also owned a land office, insurance business, a brokerage business, and a coal mining enterprise. The bank would fail and close on November 9, 1890. Although Limerick would leave town after the bank failure, the Limerick block is one of Alma's prominent stone landmarks. In 2009, the building housed Alma's City Hall, the Alma Antique Mall, and the Alma Post Office.

Date: Between 1890 and 1910

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 221267
Holding Institution: Wabaunsee County Historical Society\hoots 33

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.