Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Grinter family reunions - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These six photographs show Grinter family reunions at Henry C. and Martha Kirby's residence, which is now Grinter Place in Muncie, Kansas. Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby (Moses and Annie Grinter's daughter and son-in-law) acquired the house after Annie Grinter's death. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors and other items to the Delaware tribe members in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.

Date: 1931-1941

Bookbag Share Print

Grinter family reunions - 1Grinter family reunions - 1Grinter family reunions - 1Grinter family reunions - 1Grinter family reunions - 1Grinter family reunions - 1

Grinter family reunions - 1

Item Number: 221244
Call Number: B Grinter Family *3-8
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 221244

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.