Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Schmitz and Meyer Store, Alma, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a photo of Schmitz and Meyer store constructed in 1866. It was the second building in Alma, constructed after the Kaufman building next door that housed the first courthouse in Alma. Henry Schmitz sold his interest in the store in 1875 to Emillie Meyer, who operated it for many years. The building was demolished in October 1908 to make way for a new store constructed of limestone, the Farmers Union Store. The sidewalks are wooden planks. Several people stand on the steps of the building marked "E. Meyer." There are several signs on the store. The ones that are legible are for Star Tobacco and Ivory Soap.

Date: Between 1875 and 1890

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 221093
Holding Institution: Wabaunsee County Historical Society

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.