This is a beige-colored glazed ceramic dinner plate. This plate and other similar dinnerware were used in restaurants, called "Harvey Houses," established in 1876 by Fred Harvey of Leavenworth, Kansas. Harvey opened this chain of restaurants along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway as a better alternative to the pre-existing food service on trains and in trackside restaurants. Harvey's restaurants offered quality dining, settings, and service from Harvey Girls, the first female workforce in America. Similar establishments were erected in nearly every railroad town in the country - 30 of which were in Kansas. By catering to customers with loyal service and good food, "Harvey Houses" paved the way for food service and customer service industries throughout the United States.