Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Fred Harvey charger - Page
75 votes

Like Kansas Memory?
Help us add more items by donating $$$.
Donate to Kansas Memory

A large, heavy copper charger with gold-colored finish. This plate and other similar dinnerware were used in restaurants, called "Harvey Houses," established in 1876 by Fred Harvey of Leavenworth, Kansas. Harvey opened this chain of restaurants along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway as a better alternative to the pre-existing food service on trains and in trackside restaurants. Harvey's restaurants offered quality dining, settings, and service from Harvey Girls, the first female workforce in America. Similar establishments were erected in nearly every railroad town in the country - 30 of which were in Kansas. By catering to customers with loyal service and good food, "Harvey Houses" paved the way for food service and customer service industries throughout the United States.

Creator: Legion Utensils
Date: between 1937 and 1943

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 221044
KSHS Identifier: 2007.7.44

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.