All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
This is a silver-plated spoon. This spoon and other similar silverware were used in restaurants, called "Harvey Houses," established in 1876 by Fred Harvey of Leavenworth, Kansas. Harvey opened this chain of restaurants along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway as a better alternative to the pre-existing food service on trains and in trackside restaurants. Harvey's restaurants offered quality dining, settings, and service from Harvey Girls, the first female workforce in America. Similar establishments were erected in nearly every railroad town in the country - 30 of which were in Kansas. By catering to customers with loyal service and good food, "Harvey Houses" paved the way for food service and customer service industries throughout the United States.
Creator: International Silver Company
Item Number: 221042
KSHS Identifier: 2007.7.40
Business and Industry - Railroad - Companies - Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe
Business and Industry - Services - Food and drink - Restaurants - Harvey Houses
Collections - Museum
Date - 1910s - 1912
Objects and Artifacts - Tools & Equipment for Materials - Food Service - Spoon - Soup
People - Notable Kansans - Harvey, Fred
Type of Material - Objects and Artifacts