Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas - Page

All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.

To obtain permission or to purchase a reproduction, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at 785-272-8681, ext. 117 or reference@kshs.org. See the Copyright and Permission FAQ for more information.

This colored postcard shows buildings on the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. At the top is Boswell Library, to the right is Holbrook Hall, and at the bottom is MacVicar Chapel. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.

Creator: E.C. Kropp, Publisher, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Date: Between 1900 and 1919

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 218163
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.76 WU *9
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 218163

Copyright © 2007-2015 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.