These sepia colored photographs show a sand dredge being operated during a second attempt to make the Eureka Irrigation Canal in Ford County, Kansas a success. Originally financed in 1883 by Asa T. Soule, the project was a scheme to divert water from the Arkansas River for profit. The ninety-six mile canal began in the town of Ingalls, Kansas, and stretched across Gray and Ford counties before emptying into Coon Creek in Edwards County. When construction was completed in 1885 the canal struggled to generate a profit. The erratic flow of the Arkansas River left the ditch dry at times as other irrigation projects were draining water along the river. In 1908, a new group of investors purchased the canal hoping to use the underflow of the river rather than what flowed above the ground. Another reservoir was dug parallel to the stream. On it were placed two barges, which are shown in the photographs. They were quipped with dredges that pulled out the sand but left the water. Two centrifugal pumps were installed to send the water from the reservoir into the canal. It was cited that one of these pumps could "throw a stream of 30,000 gallons of water a minute." But, even with both pumps working, the canal suffered from seepage. 35% of water was lost back to the underflow in 1 1/2 miles.