Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas - Page
1 vote

Like Kansas Memory?
Help us add more items by donating $$$.
Donate to Kansas Memory

These sepia colored photographs show a sand dredge being operated during a second attempt to make the Eureka Irrigation Canal in Ford County, Kansas a success. Originally financed in 1883 by Asa T. Soule, the project was a scheme to divert water from the Arkansas River for profit. The ninety-six mile canal began in the town of Ingalls, Kansas, and stretched across Gray and Ford counties before emptying into Coon Creek in Edwards County. When construction was completed in 1885 the canal struggled to generate a profit. The erratic flow of the Arkansas River left the ditch dry at times as other irrigation projects were draining water along the river. In 1908, a new group of investors purchased the canal hoping to use the underflow of the river rather than what flowed above the ground. Another reservoir was dug parallel to the stream. On it were placed two barges, which are shown in the photographs. They were quipped with dredges that pulled out the sand but left the water. Two centrifugal pumps were installed to send the water from the reservoir into the canal. It was cited that one of these pumps could "throw a stream of 30,000 gallons of water a minute." But, even with both pumps working, the canal suffered from seepage. 35% of water was lost back to the underflow in 1 1/2 miles.

Date: Between 1908 and 1909

Bookbag Share Print

Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas - 1Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas - 2Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas - 3

Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 218054
Call Number: FK2.F2.31 I.Eur *4 -*6
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 218054

Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas Eureka Irrigation Canal, Ford County, Kansas Soule ditch along the trail west of Ingalls, Kansas

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.