Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lawrence, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Lawrence, Kansas. The building, located at 413 E 7th Street in Lawrence, Kansas, was designed as a "Midwestern Modern" architecture structure by Warren Corman and Warren Jones, graduates from the University of Kansas. Construction began on the depot in 1955 and was completed a year later in 1956 to become part of the Eastern Line of the Eastern Division in the First District of the ATSF system. Today, the facility is operated by Amtrak for passenger service. In June of 2008, a group of concerned citizens formed a non-profit organization called Depot Redux which would seek federal assistance for the restoration of the depot and transfer ownership of the building from Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway to the city of Lawrence.

Creator: Brent, Orville Jr.
Date: Between 1956 and 1957

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 218032
Call Number: ATSF Series 1, #2.205-0399
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 218032

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.