Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows a northwest view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passes in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.

Date: 1957

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 216476
Call Number: FK2.1 O.1957c *4
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 216476

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.