All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop and the groceries and meat market. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.
Item Number: 216289
Call Number: FK2.S5 R .73 *6
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 216289
Collections - Photograph
Community Life - Scenes and views - Business districts
Community Life - Town development
Date - 1950s
Environment - Water - Reservoirs - Clinton Lake
Objects and Artifacts - Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact - Photograph
Places - Cities and towns - Richland
Places - Counties - Shawnee
Places - Rivers - Wakarusa
Type of Material - Photographs