Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Fort Harker, Kansas, 218 miles west of Missouri River - Page
40 votes

Like Kansas Memory?
Help us add more items by donating $$$.
Donate to Kansas Memory

This is a photo showing U. S. Army troops on the grounds of Fort Harker, Kansas. Fort Harker (originally called Fort Ellsworth) was established in 1864 in order to provide protection for the Kansas Stage Line and military wagon trains transporting goods along the Smoky Hill Trail and the Fort Riley Road. The fort closed in 1872 and was located in present day Kanopolis, Kansas. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.

Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 215797
Call Number: FK2.E4 K. .1867 *4
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 215797

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.