Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a drawing of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.

Date: Between 1950 and 1959

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 215748
Call Number: FK2.W7 .79 *25
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 215748

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.