All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
A photograph of Annie Grinter and her son Cunningham Grinter. In the late 1830s, Moses Grinter married Annie Marshall, a Lenape (Delaware) Indian whose people had been relocated to the Fort Leavenworth Indian Agency. In 1857, the Grinter's built a two-story brick house in Wyandotte County. Moses operated a ferry across the Kansas River, and from 1855 to 1860 he owned a trading post business that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods (clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things) to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. The house is the oldest residence in Wyandotte County, Kansas. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.
Date: Between 1864 and 1865
Item Number: 215668
Call Number: B Grinter, Moses *4
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 215668
Collections - Photograph
Date - 1861-1869
Objects and Artifacts - Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact - Photograph
People - American Indians - Tribes - Delaware
People - Notable Kansans - Grinter, Annie Marshall
Places - Counties - Wyandotte
Type of Material - Photographs