This black and white photograph shows construction on the south portion of the capitol's main building in Topeka, Kansas. By late summer, 1886, approximately one half of the outside walls of the main building were up and work began on the rotunda. In the background piles of cut limestone are visible as a crew of workers move the stone in place with a team of horses. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years after that historic day, the statehouse, a n example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200.588.92.