All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
This black and white photograph shows construction on the south portion of the capitol's main building in Topeka, Kansas. By late summer, 1886, approximately one half of the outside walls of the main building were up and work began on the rotunda. In the background piles of cut limestone are visible as a crew of workers move the stone in place with a team of horses. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years after that historic day, the statehouse, a n example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200.588.92.
Item Number: 214120
Call Number: FK2.1 C.1886c *4
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 214120
Built Environment - Architectural Style - French Renaissance
Built Environment - Areas of Significance - Politics/Government
Built Environment - Function - Government - Capitol
Built Environment - Materials - Stone - Limestone
Collections - Photograph
Date - 1880s - 1886
Government and Politics - State Government - Legislature
Objects and Artifacts - Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact - Photograph
Places - Cities and towns - Topeka
Places - Counties - Shawnee
Type of Material - Photographs