Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #3463 - Page

All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.

To obtain permission or to purchase a reproduction, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at 785-272-8681, ext. 117 or reference@kshs.org. See the Copyright and Permission FAQ for more information.

This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #3463 at the depot in Burlingame, Kansas. The locomotive was designed by H.H. Lanning and his staff in Topeka, Kansas and built in 1937 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The steam locomotive was first assigned between La Junta, Colorado and Chicago, Illinois. Later with the introduction of the diesel engine, service was changed to Kansas City and Oklahoma City and Kansas City and Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1953 the #3463 made one last run between Newton, Kansas and Emporia, Kansas. For three years, the class 4-6-4 locomotive remained in Emporia until 1956 when it was permanently moved to the Topeka Fairgrounds or more commonly known today as the Kansas Expocentre. This steam locomotive is the only one in existence today.

Date: September 1941

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 212316
Call Number: He.10 ATSF.LOC STE.3463 *3
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 212316

Copyright © 2007-2015 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.