Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #3463 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #3463 along a set of tracks at Emporia, Kansas. The locomotive was designed by H.H. Lanning and his staff in Topeka, Kansas, and built in 1937 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The steam locomotive was first assigned between La Junta, Colorado and Chicago, Illinois. Later with the introduction of the diesel engine, service was changed to Kansas City and Oklahoma City and Kansas City between Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1953 the #3463 made one last run between Newton, Kansas, and Emporia, Kansas. For three years, the class 4-6-4 locomotive remained in Emporia until 1956 when it was permantely moved to the Topeka Fairgrounds or more commonly know today as the Kansas Expocentre. This steam locomotive is the only one in existence today.

Date: Between 1937 and 1957

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 212309
Call Number: He.10 ATSF.LOC STE.3463 *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 212309

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.