Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Topeka Provident Association building Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This sepia colored photograph shows the Bethel Healing Home that later housed the Topeka Provident Association. Located at the corner of Fourth and Jackson streets in Topeka, Kansas, the building was used from 1898 to 1900 by faith healers Charles and Sarah Parham as a Christian center. The ground floor of the Bethel Healing Home furnished a large chapel, public reading room, and printing office where the "Apostolic Faith" paper was published. After the Parhams left Topeka to conduct Pentacostal revivals, the building housed the Topeka Provident Association to assist victims recovering from the 1903 flood. Available services included cooking and sewing classes for girls, a boy's club, a library, and a day care center.

Date: Between 1898 and 1920

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 212248
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.728 *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 212248

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.