Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Topeka Harvey House gong - Page
0 votes

Like Kansas Memory?
Help us add more items by donating $$$.
Donate to Kansas Memory

This large brass gong and mallet are from the Topeka Harvey House. This gong was donated by Ralph E. LaBounty, a Fred Harvey executive who once worked as a busboy at the Topeka restaurant. LaBounty had used the gong in his youth, and saved it when the restaurant was torn down. The Harvey Houses were the first chain restaurants, operated in towns along the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe rail lines. The gongs were used by employees to alert the waitresses that a train was arriving. Their sound also attracted passengers to the dining room.

Date: 1876

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 210646
KSHS Identifier: 1975.145.1

AT & SF Railway sledge Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Fred Harvey House, and El Garces hotel, Needles, California Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's Fred Harvey House lunch counter, Topeka, Kansas Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's Fred Harvey dining room, Topeka, Kansas

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.