Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Violin - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Violin with spruce belly and maple back and ribs, made by Wurlitzer. The bridge was replaced in the 1890s. Originally owned by James Limerick, who brought the instrument to Kansas Territory in 1855. The violin later was given to James Darnell. The Limerick and Darnell families became friends en route to Kansas, on the banks of the Grand River in Missouri. Limerick played Irish fiddle tunes around the campfire at night.

Date: between 1820 and 1850

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 209871
KSHS Identifier: 1959.12.9

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.