Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Delaware Baptist Mission globe - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.

For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Terrestrial globe on brass stand, used to instruct American Indian pupils at the Delaware Baptist Mission. The mission opened in present-day Wyandotte County around 1836 with the purpose of educating Delaware children and converting them to Christianity. It operated under the leadership of Rev. John Gill Pratt beginning in 1847, and closed when the Delaware tribe was removed to Indian Territory in the late 1860s. The only Kansas town noted on the globe is Lecompton, Kansas' territorial capital from 1855 to 1861.

Creator: Holbrook School Apparatus Company
Date: between 1855 and 1860

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 209862
KSHS Identifier: 1908.30.3

Copyright © 2007-2015 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.