Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #132 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This black and white photographs shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #132 pulling coal and passenger cars. It was built in 1880 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a type 2-8-0 consolidation type tank engine, and ran through Raton. In 1923, the locomotive was reassigned for switching service at the Argentine yards, a major freight terminal at Kansas City, where it remained until 1939. After sixty years of use, it was designated for the scrap line; however, it was saved when people became interested in preserving older steam locomotives. Found to be Santa Fe's oldest surviving locomotive, it was refurbished twice in 1940-1941 for static display use. As a corporate display symbol, it was spared from the World War II scrap drives. It was overhauled and returned to operation in 1950 as Locomotive #1 and named the "Cyrus K. Holliday". It performed under steam at local celebrations, fairs and other events, and made several appearances during the Kansas Centennial. In 1977, Santa Fe Railway officials made a commitment to donate the locomotive to the Kansas State Historical Society for placement in museum's main gallery. In 1984, the steam locomotive was placed on a flatbed and transported to the Kansas State Historical Society's museum site and moved in place while the building was under construction. The Historical Society restored the locomotive to its 1880 appearance and renamed it locomotive #132. The two coaches have been restored to their one-time use as

Date: Between 1950 and 1965

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 208405
Call Number: He.10 ATSF.LOC STE.1 *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 208405

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.